Hello everyone! I have been working away at launching WaxFund for the past few months. I had our official "soft launch" about a month ago and have been able to raise a good amount of funds and obtain several applications. Our first round of WaxFund clients have been randomly selected and have started to receive services. Thanks to all who made it possible!
As a new business owner, taking on WaxFund has been a challenge while I am still learning how to run my own salon at the same time. But this is something I wanted to start because of its truth to who I am as an esthetician and why I do what I do. It has been a journey finding out just how important hair removal can be for some as well as simply providing a non-judgemental, accepting, and knowledgeable salon space. I'd like to share a little bit of how I came to this place.
Before I started Babe Wax, I was working out of a bigger chain salon. I marketed my services to my community which was mostly made of folks who may not usually frequent such a nice salon. This included queer and trans folks. My first few trans clients who displayed such euphoria receiving their first waxes was such a bright light for me. I have no one but these first few clients to thank for educating me on the effects of hair removal and how important it was to provide a respectful space. I'm beyond stoked I have been able to bring together my personal ethics around gender, bodies, and identities and meld them with a skill like waxing.
When I opened Babe Wax, I received inquiries about reduced priced services, sliding scale, etc. I would have to decline because I did not have any extra resources to give as I was still working hard to get the business's basic needs met. I was lamenting this to a client one day and she said, "Why don't you get other folks to help fund waxes for low-income trans people?" And so the process of WaxFund began!
I will continue to collect funds and randomly select applicants monthly. Based on how much we accrue will determine how many applicants can receive services. I'm very thankful for the excitement and support for WaxFund thus far. I am working on creative ways to get the word out even further. I'm also brainstorming better and more efficient ways to collect funds. Here's what is in motion now:
- I have created a WaxFund menu on our booking website, so you can book a wax for yourself while funding someone else's. Check it out.
- I'm in the process of making info cards to pass out into the community to help raise funds as well as obtain more applicants. These should be available soon!
- A couple of our retailers at the salon have donated some of their pieces to be sold for WaxFund. Crystal Vision Gems has a couple necklaces left as well as Atwood Made shelves. Take a look at the items listed on our Instagram or check it out next time you're at the salon. Getting some locally made queer art while supporting trans folks is a win-win!
- Patrick Buckmaster set out a crowd-funding jar at one of their events (which raised over $100 in one night). Any interest in setting out jars at future events, please contact email@example.com.
- As a performer, I am giving all my tips to WaxFund for at least the rest of the year. Any other performers or events interested in this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continuing to do community-based crowd-funding seems like such an important aspect to this. Showing support as a community speaks volumes and can really emphasize the sentiment behind the services received. A future fund-raising event with DJs, performers, and raffel prizes is in store sometime next year so keep your eyes peeled for that!
I would love to see WaxFund grow to serve all who apply and to build a coalition with other beauty industry folks. I also plan on doing more outreach for more applicants as funds begin to build and I'm able to serve more folks.s
Someone reminded me the other day that decreasing dysphoria and aiding in self-love for trans folks can literally be life saving. This fuels my fire to do more! Please contact me anytime if you feel you have resources or interest in continuing to support WaxFund.